Click on an image below to read about the cast, characters, or episodes.
About the Show
Oobi is a kids' television show that stars a cast of bare hand puppets played by Muppet performers. It was created by Josh Selig, a former Sesame Street writer whose work with Sesame Workshop spans over thirty years. The exceptional puppetry on Oobi was intended to captivate a young audience, but like Sesame Street, the show's oddly enduring concept has managed to win over parents and puppet fanatics alike.
The main character is the most literal form of a hand puppet, with no fur, feathers, or clothes—only a pair of expressive acrylic eyes and accessories. Each story features Oobi exploring the world around him along with his younger sister Uma, his best friend Kako, and his grandpa Grampu. The show was filmed at Kaufman Astoria Studios and aired on Nickelodeon and Noggin. Read more about the show here!
"Dinosaur!" is an episode of Oobi from season two. It was written by Melinda LaRose and first aired on September 6, 2004.
Story: Oobi illustrates a storybook about a group of dinosaurs who embark on a mission to find their way home. When he reads it aloud to his friends, they imagine it playing out in an Oobi-style world of prehistoric hand puppets.
Cast: Click here to view the cast for this episode.
Gallery: Click here to view this episode's gallery.
Randy is Oobi and Uma's babysitter. He was played by Kevin Clash, who is best known for being the original performer of Elmo on Sesame Street.
Bio: Randy is a funny, good-natured teen with a mohawk-style haircut. He is very personable and gives nicknames to everyone he meets. He gives Oobi and Uma the names "Oobi-Dude" and "Uma-Zooma." When they first meet, Uma does not appreciate Randy's efforts to bond with her. She misses Grampu and insists that Randy isn't as good as him. However, Randy eventually wins her over by dancing with her doll to polka music. Uma can't help but laugh and nicknames him "Randy-Candy."
Appearance: Randy guest stars in the "Babysitter!" episode. Although this is Randy's only appearance, Kevin Clash also plays several background characters in later episodes.
• An spin-off of Oobi, titled Oobi: Dasdasi, premiered across the Middle East and Asia in 2012. It ran for 78 episodes.
• Josh Selig, the creator of Oobi, was inspired to develop the show after watching puppeteers on the Polish version of Sesame Street perform with their bare hands.
• After Oobi finished production, Josh Selig created the cartoon Wonder Pets for Nick Jr.
• According to a 2007 issue of the Kidscreen magazine, Oobi was originally going to be named "Pipo." He was renamed after Nickelodeon found out that "Pipo" was already the name of an Italian brand of jeans.
• Jared Faber, the composer of the Oobi theme song, also wrote the music for the Nicktoon series As Told by Ginger.